Critical Care National Guidance
There is a lot of national guidance that is or is potentially applicable to our units. Our units have or are working towards implementing this guidance where this is appropriate. Please click on the links below to view guidance.
Healthcare Safety Investigation Branch
The National Institute for Clinical Excellence has published the following guidance relevant to critical care. The guidance below is referenced within the critical care unit service specification as an obligatory National Standard to be working towards.
- NICE Clinical Guideline 50: Acutely ill adults in hospital: recognising and responding to deterioration (2007)
- NICE Clinical Guideline 83: Rehabilitation after Critical Illness in Adults* (2009)
- NICE Clinical Guideline 103: Delirium: diagnosis, prevention, and management (2010)
- NICE Clinical Guideline 135: Organ Donation for transplantation: improving donor identification and consent rates for deceased organ donation (2011)
- NICE SG1 Safe staffing for nursing in adult inpatient wards in acute hospitals (2014)
- NICE DG39 Tests to help assess risk of acute kidney injury for people being considered for critical care admission (2020)
- NICE QS72 Renal Replacement Therapy services for adults (2014)
- NICE QS66 Intravenous fluid therapy in adults in hospital (2014)
- NICE NG94 Emergency and acute medical care in over 16s: service delivery and organisation (2018)
- NICE NG5 Medicines Reconciliation (chapter 1) (2015)
In addition the following guidance may also be relevant to critical care:
- NICE QS 158 - Rehabilitation after critical illness in adults
- NICE CG51 - Sepsis: recognition, diagnosis and early management
- NICE NG148 - Acute Kidney injury: prevention detection and management
- NICE CG 56 - Head injury: Triage, assessment, investigation and early management of head injury in infants, children and adults
- NICE - Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for acute heart failure in adults
- RCoA Care of the critically ill woman in childbirth; enhanced maternal
Enhanced Perioperative Care
Department of Health/NHS England
Click below to view
- 2006 Critical Care Dataset launched (CCMDS).
- The National Education and Competence Framework for Advanced Critical Care Practitioners, FICM (2008).
- Information Standards Notice amendment: CCMDS version 8 (2010).
- Seven Day Services Clinical Standard, NHSE England (Sept 2017).
National Audit programmes in Intensive Care Medicine
National Confidential Enquiry into Patient Outcome and Death Reports